Web project 11: Analyzing language and other persuasive symbols used in jokes.
- Visit FunnyJokes.com and choose a joke that you find funny and would feel comfortable telling in class.
- Copy and paste the joke into your homework.
- Find the persuasive concept listed below that best explains why the joke works. Explain the concept.
- Use the concept from the text to explain why the joke works.
- upload to turnitin and use feedback to improve your writing.
- upload revised draft to turnitin by due date.
- Print your completed, revised assignment and put in your binder.
Persuasive Concepts to analyze language and other symbols used in jokes:
- Figures of speech: Subtle use of language.
- Metaphor: Using other worlds to describe this one.
- Modifying meaning: Changing meaning to change minds.
- Parts of speech: Lots of detail on using nouns, verbs, etc.
- Persuasive language: Particular methods of persuading with words.
- Special language: Used in conversion and retention within groups.
- Using syntax: The structure and types of sentences.
- Using punctuation: Subtlety that changes meaning.
More language tools:
- framing: http://changingminds.org/principles/framing.htm
- meanings: http://changingminds.org/techniques/conversion/special_language.htm
- symbol principle: http://changingminds.org/principles/symbols.htm
- symbolic interaction: http://changingminds.org/explanations/theories/symbolic_interaction.htm